Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sittin in the Principal's Office


On the last day of March, I thought it was time to bring back one of our more popular posts, "Sittin' in the Principal's Office." For a background on the meaning of this, go to our first post with this title. Otherwise, off we go...
I am now one who uses Twitter (www.twitter.com/mengelbert). I signed up to have a better understanding of the popular social networks. I have yet to sign up for Facebook, and this blog is my only other attempt. Twitter does have a place in the social network world. It started out by asking people, "What are you doing?" Those who I have begun to follow have used it to promote ideas and projects they are working on as well as to keep fans informed on how they are living their lives. As much fun as I've had following the life of Al Roker, why should I care that he had 3 1/2 hours of sleep after returning from covering the floods of North Dakota. And Bob Costas telling me that he is disappointed in Alex Rodriguez' use of steroids isn't front page news. But what Twitter and many of these other on-line forms of communication--email included--does take the place of is interpersonal communication. The days of one on one, face to face interaction is being replaced by those who coward behind a keyboard. (Look for the NCAA to make rules regarding Twitter.)
Oklahoma women's basketball center Courtney Paris stated that if she doesn't win the national championship she will pay back her scholarship. The intention is nice, but as long as she earns her degree and represents her University well, she has done everything that should be asked for in returns for a college education. She's made the final four, so drop this story. Let her play basketball and compete hard every minute she is in the game. That is enough for me.
March came in like a Lamb and is going out like a Lion.

No comments: