Sunday, February 22, 2009

Church

This weekend Colin and I decided to take a trip and visit dear old Grandmommy in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Staying Saturday night she asked if we could go to church with her on Sunday. While my wife, son and I like to think we are good people, we don't frequent church. The last attempt was Christmas Eve services in 2006 at the Presbyterian Church in downtown San Antonio. Colin didn't last very long during this Christmas service of song.

On our way to First Presbyterian in Oskaloosa I was trying to think of ways to keep the little one pre-occupied as well as Plan Bs if he just couldn't tolerate the service. We reminded him that it would last less than 60 minutes and, if he wanted to, he could play in the basement with other kids his age.

When we arrived my mom took us downstairs and he didn't feel comfortable leaving dad and Grandmommy so he decided to suck it up and sit with them. A kind lady of the church handed him a bag with crayons, fruit snacks and odd toys. Then as we walked to our seat I noticed communion plates...something my mom decided not to tell us. A serive of less than an hour now became much longer.

Colin sat up and listened to the music that serenaded the people as they entered. He also sat up and listened to the announcements. I held him as we sang and prayed together. He declined the option to walk to the front of the church with other kids in the church. We were doing well, he snuggled up to me and held onto his blanket and "Piggie," the stuffed animal that joined us on this Sunday. Then we got to the serman, and I began to notice the unsettleness set in. He declared for those in the rows around to hear, "I'm ready to go." A chuckle or two ensued. The serman was disappointing, as acknoledged by my mom as well. Then came the bread and "wine." Colin asked why he couldn't have them. I said the fruit snacks were for him, this for us.
Finally it was time to go and Colin was ready to put his coat on. However, all in all, he did a good job.

No comments: