Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Best Story of the Beijing Olympics


Many watched the spectacular spectacle of the Opening Ceremonies. The image that I will remember from the night is the nine year old Lin Hao of the Sichuan Province of China. His school was affected by the recent earthquake. 20 of his 30 classmates lost their lives in the disaster, but Lin Hao survied. Not only did he survive, but he also came to the aid of two classmates and saved their lives. When asked why he did that his comment was, "I am one of the class leaders. A Hall Monitor. That is one of my responsibilities."


The Olympics is an event everyone should attend. My wife and I were at Salt Lake for the 2002 Winter Games. We attended a Hockey Match between Austria and Germany, the Women's Downhill featuring Picabo Street in her last Olympic race and the Men's K120 Ski Jumping Finals. We also watched the Bare Naked Ladies perform at the Medals Plaza in downtown Salt Lake. We were there five days and it was purely an incredible experience. "Magical" is a word that definitely defines the hype surrounding the two weeks. I hope to find pictures we took from 2002 to post.

No comments: