Saturday, August 23, 2008

Iowa - Drake Women's Soccer

The University has had women's soccer for close to ten years, but I had never attended a game. On this beautiful fall-like night I thought I would take the family to a game. It was the season opener against the Drake Bulldogs. By the time we arrived the Hawkeyes were ahead 2-0 with about twenty minutes to go in the first half. Soon after taking a seat on the grassy knoll, the Hawkeyes scored a goal and increased their lead by one. We stayed until the 35 minute mark of the second half with hopes that Iowa could hold on to win this one.

I am definitely not a soccer fan, but it was more interesting to watch in person. A very good crowd showed up and few seats could be found in the permanent bleachers. I have met Iowa's head coach Ron Rainey, and talked with him on a number of occasions. He is definitely a person I would let my child play for. Very nice, humble and seemingly appreciative of the people around him. One of his players is the sister of a good friend of mine. Jackie Kaeding, the sister of Nate is also a very nice person. I met her at a San Diego Chargers playoff game in the '07 season and have talked with her many times as she worked this summer at Brown Deer Golf Course in Coralville, Iowa. It was these two reasons why we attended tonight's soccer match-up.

Although I am not a soccer fan, I was bored by tonight's atmosphere. We sat through a halftime with little entertainment. A contest for two little kids to dribble and kick a ball through the goal. This idea has been recycled throughout the many Iowa sporting events. Then the music that ensued sounded like they came from the original 8-Track. Then when the Iowa Fight Song was played, my wife and I were the only ones I heard clapping to it.

My wife said she may take Colin to more games this season. It won't be because of the half-time entertainment though. It will be for the play on the field and the beautiful soccer facility.

No comments: