Sunday, June 27, 2010

Anniversary

r
When I left my seat at Sec Taylor Park in Des Moines for a soda, I had no idea the change it would make in my life. It was something I had done on many occasions, but this trip was different, as it was at this time I met my wife.

Without a thought I walked up to the stand to place my order and a young lady from the back of the stand said she remembered me. And after some thought she referred to me by name. Of course I had the advantage and noticed her name tag and replied "confidently," Dana?! We had worked together at the University of Iowa as part of the 1991 Homecoming Council. She was director of PR while I was the Parade Coordinator. Being the only two on the council who were not part of the University Greek system was our connection.

We talked for a little while at the concession stand and we had decided that we should meet for a drink or something while I was in town later that year for the Iowa - Iowa State football game. She looked at it as an opportunity to recruit people associated with Iowa Football to volunteer for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, the company she worked for, and the reason she was volunteering in the concession stand--to raise money for the non-profit.

Over time we would either meet in Des Moines or Iowa City for either dinner or a football game. Then after dating for two years, this chance meeting led to our wedding...on this day in 1998.

No comments: